WAXWITCH aftercare / post-wax Instructions
You did it! You survived your wax service. WAXWITCH provided you with superior service but it doesn’t end here; you must do your part at home for optimal results. Here are some guidelines for you to follow in order to avoid ingrowns, infection, discomfort etc.
- Keep the waxed area clean for the next 24-48 hours and try to avoid tight, restrictive clothing. Clean, breathable cotton garments are best (or none at all if possible). If you are prone to infection and ingrowns, you may even want to bring a fresh garment with you to your service to wear immediately afterwards. Avoid spandex, lace, nylon etc. The more you can avoid these types of clothing in general, even after the first 48 hours, the better.
- Avoid hot baths, showers, saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, gym/exercise, sunbathing or sun beds for the next 24-48 hours. A lukewarm shower is better than a bath as any dirt, product etc. is immediately rinsed off. Activities that will cause you to sweat a lot are not advised as bacteria, oils, runoff product, dirt etc. will interfere with your newly waxed/exfoliated area and increase the chance of irritation and infection. Sun/tanning is not advised as your waxed skin is FAR more susceptible to burning.
- Avoid wearing perfume, body spray, makeup, deodorant etc. on any waxed area for at least 24 hours. These products can cause stinging, infection, pustules, irritation, etc. It’s actually best to not use deodorant with antiperspirant (Allum) in it at all as it’s a carcinogen- same goes for any type of body powder/product containing talc. I recommend removing those from your skincare lineup all together.
- Also in the first 2 days, please try to avoid touching the area- especially with dirty hands.
- Sexual contact is not recommended in the first day or so either as many people find the friction to be an irritant. You are also more susceptible to STDs as waxing causes bleeding in some cases or tiny, invisible tears in the skin.
- After the first 24-48 hours, you must begin some type of exfoliation routine. You will need to gently exfoliate the area 2-3 times a week. WAXWITCH retails/endorses various exfoliation products depending on your needs. There are chemical exfoliants such as pastes, masks and serums which contain acids and other ingredients to “eat” the dead skin. For people sensitive to such topical treatments, there are exfoliating mitts, gloves, brushes, soaps etc. which manually slough off dead skin in order for the hair to grow through with no issue. It is also strongly advised that you moisturize the area. I recommend Cere-Ve moisturizing cream or lotion which is available at any drugstore. Properly exfoliating and moisturizing your skin will not only improve the tone/texture and prevent ingrown hairs, it also keeps your skin in prime condition to be waxed and gives you better results the next time you come in. Properly cared for skin results in less pain, hair breakage, bumps, ingrown hairs and irritation!
If this is your first wax, please be advised that you may see growth within the first few days. It takes a good 3-4 sessions to start seeing optimal results. For Brazilians, you will need to come in every 3-5 weeks (most clients), avoid shaving in between, and follow your homecare instructions. Once you have been waxing for around 4 months, you will likely start seeing a noticeable difference in the amount of growth and texture of the hair. Most people experience 2-3 weeks of bare, smooth skin before any significant/visible amount of hair is there. You are ready to come back in when the hair is at least ¼ inch. I look forward to seeing you then!
As many of you know, I’m hard to get a hold of via phone since my schedule is pretty packed, so text is usually the best option. If you have ANY questions or concerns, I am always available to you for guidance, advice and instruction. I legitimately care about all my clients and have the experience and knowledge to assist you. I will do my best to get back to you ASAP.